onsdag 22. oktober 2008

I'm still alive!

I see I'm on my way to be a really bad blogger. Actually I'm already there. When I check everyone else's blog there's always something new that's been written about. I have one post so far. The reason? Hm. May be because going to the internet café is not the easiest thing to do, especially not now that we have started the Malagasy courses. Also it's not the best connection so uploading pictures is not possible. Also, there's a lot going on most of the time so sitting down, trying to write something good is not that easy either. My excuses are many, I know. The main thing however is probably the fact that I'm having a really good time. So it's not necessary for me to go to my room, being introvert and writing stuff. It's more fun to be around people and experience the culture. So I'm sorry if there's anybody out there who wants more updates! I'm going to try to get better.

News since last blog: many, when I think about it. The last blog was a long time ago. Anyway, I have got a Malagasy phone number!!! +261 0326 1942 69. if you want to call me, drop the 0 in the beginning (= +/00261 326 1942 69).We've also finally bought the «moov» usb-internet-thing, so now we don't have to go to the internet café. Yes, it's a luxury object but in Mahajanga we would probably be without internet at all if we didn't buy this thing and it would also be very hard, if not impossible, to upload pictures and files/assignments in mails etc. So I think it's for the best. And hopefully I'll be able to show some pictures soon, from this wonderful land!

During the weekend Arnhild and I had a girl's trip to Antsirabe, the town where she spent most of her childhood. We stayed at the Norwegian school. There were less people there now than when she lived there but it was still a very nice place. It became a weekend with swimming (at a hotel), sun bathing and pousse pousse! We also had 6 hours on the bus (3 each way), squeezed in between two seats at high speed! With no security belts of course. T so charming, and that's not a ironic joke! The buses are some of the most charming things here, though in a hurtful way. We also ate morbær, sorry, I don't know the English word, but the berries from a tree like Sakkeus was sitting in! I enjoyed that. They were really sweet and good!

Now it's only two weeks left before we start working. For now it's just Malagasy courses, KRIK and English Club. I think everyone know about KRIK/CHRISC; sports and fun, followed by a prayer in the end. This event is for everyone as long as they follow the rules. English Club however is a group of young people gathering to speak, practice and improve English. They meet every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and we were lucky enough to accidentally see them in the living room our first day here. We were invited in and have joined them since then. I'm really impressed by their efforts. They speak English all the time! All the time. If there's a word someone doesn't understand, the others try to explain it to them, in English! I don't think that would ever happen in Norway. We would rather like the explanation in Norwegian. This policy also makes it easier for us.
To get some structure we put together a plan for the days, so that every Tuesday we have «Bible study», Thursday «Listening and singing» (mostly Christian songs) and Friday «English in daily life» (discussions etc). We divide into smaller groups so that everyone gets the chance to speak.
These evenings are some of the best things I do down here. Especially thursday when we had our first time of «listening and singing». I sang «The heart of worship» and «Majesty» to them. We had written the texts on the white board so it was easer for them to follow. Afterwards we talked about the song's meanings and explained. Then we all sang the song together. Everyone with their Malagasy dialect, some differences in the melody and in a language they don't know that well. So touching. And this was not the end of the night. When English club was finished the four of us, and Daniel, spoke to Pastora Haja, the general secretary in the youth department in the Lutheran Church. Afterwards we were served a nice supper of chicken, some tomatoes and onions and of course rice! To drink we got what I think is quite typical for Madagascar, the remaining boiled water from the cooked rice. No, it was not the best drink I've tasted but I was able to drink it anyway. It was a night to remember! And I think we'll have many more!

2 kommentarer:

M. Ail sa...

Hm! Sounds like you're having a vert good time, indeed! ;-) How long are you staying in Africa?

Ingrid sa...

yes, I am! :D
I'm staying her for 6 months, so until april. I'm coming home during the easter holiday.